THE POWER OF SUFFERING by David Roland

 

Daily we read about, we hear about, we watch, eavesdrop, observe voyeuristically the tragedies and horrors of the events and crises that affect, devastate and destroy the lives of ordinary people going about their ordinary and unexceptional lives. Ordinary people just like us as it happens. Car accidents, natural disasters, sudden health crises, random acts of violence - and all the time we think thank goodness it is not me/us, and then, how would I cope with such a trauma? Well, after reading this, I know that I would cope -  eventually - and undoubtedly come out of it a different person, a changed person, maybe a better person. 

The author, David Roland, is a psychologist but it is not until he himself goes through a major personal crisis that he turns his eye and his own recovery onto the stories of others. The eleven people he profiles in this book have gone through life changing and devastating happenings. He carefully narrates their stories, not just the traumas, but more importantly how their approach to life and living has changed as a result of learning to live on a daily basis with their various tragedies. In the process David Roland comes to terms with what has been going on in his own life, and learns to live again.

This book is an extremely personal narrative of many life journeys, incredibly intimate and a true privilege to be allowed to read. Also very humbling. I hope I may never be in the position of finding my life completely turned up on its end, but if it ever is, I will have this book to help me on my way, to reassure me that one day things will get better, change, improve. And it may also help me help others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment