APRIL READING: PRIDE AND PREJUDICE by Jane Austen


PRIDE AND PREJUDICE by Jane Austen

Impossible to review as there are literally thousands of reviews available at the push of a button of this absolute classic of English literature. The hardest part about putting this review together? Scrolling through hundreds of book cover images finding the one, for me,  that encapsulated everything about this book. So we have impeccable dressing and manners, order and simplicity, elegance and refinement, beautifully weaved layers, and above all love.

In January it was 200 years since 'Pride and Prejudice' was first published. 200 years! Can you believe the timelessness of this story. So it was fitting that I finally read it. Only a few years ago I thought it was about time I read a Jane Austen, so on the advice of a Jane Austen fanatic I read 'Emma'.  Not a good choice. Emma annoyed me intensely, the two movie versions I have seen did nothing to change my opinion and although I finished the book, I did feel the whole exercise was a bit of waste of time. I wasn't going to take up my friend's suggestion of 'Northanger Abbey'. Why she didn't suggest P&P I'll never know. Because it is head and shoulders above 'Emma', as are the movie/TV versions.

We know what is going to happen of course, but it doesn't matter as the relationship between Elizabeth and Darcy is so delicately and skilfully developed, the reader feels the tension between the them, sees the gradual awakening and realisation as they slowly get to know each other. It is so brilliant, that I found once they had arrived at the true state of affairs, I sort of lost interest in their relationship. I had got to know them so well as separate individuals I wasn't really very interested in reading about them as a loved-up couple!

Then of course there are the periphery characters - so overdrawn really as to be ridiculous. The appalling obsequious Mr Collins, over wrought Mrs Bennet, that silly Lydia, head in the sand Mr Bennet, terrifying Lady Catherine, unlovable rogue Wickham, amongst others.

So brilliant plot, great characters and to top it off wonderful writing. You might think the written English of 200 years ago could be hard going. It is certainly different from how we write today, but I can't really imagine this book being written in modern English. Its charm and magic is as much in the language used as in the other components. We only need to see Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth in full Regency articulation to appreciate the beauty and appropriateness of Miss Austen's language.

Most highly recommended for anyone looking to get lost in another time with a story as appropriate for today as it was 200 years ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment