A LIFE LESS THROWAWAY: THE LOST ART OF BUYING FOR LIFE by Tara Button

Almost daily we read about, hear about, are social media-ed about downsizing, decluttering, being less wasteful, purchasing carefully and mindfully - you get my drift. So much advice, help, mindfulness, guilt trips, recycling, mental torment. In my own little way my 2018 New Year Resolution was to not buy any new clothes for 12 months, other than replacement underwear, socks, walking shoes, and Kmart sports gear. On the first day of a new year, I now look back and think I did pretty well, not perfect - I did buy a light weight travel jacket for an overseas trip, a skirt on my birthday, some seriously discounted winter woolies which have been put in the garage till next winter, and in a reversion to pre 2018 form, in November - yes 11 months it took - I had a little spree in Zara, but I have worn them all since. Plus I still have clothes in the wardrobe I have not worn, despite taking a pile to the opshop. Obviously still too many clothes, but the whole experiment has made me much more aware of how I shop, how I look at clothes, how I am not really that interested in just browsing for the fun of it. And also made me more interested in the psychology of buying - why we are somehow biologically programmed to acquire stuff, replace it or more likely replicate it, only bring things like wedding present silver out on special occasions, buy cheap for instant gratification. 

Which is why I read this book - random choice really, not being a fan at all of self help books - this looked like a good place to start. And it is! There is nothing earth shatteringly new in this book, but the author is on a crusade to change the way we shop, how our mental and emotional health is affected by the consumer/materialism culture we live in, and how we can jump off that train and manage firstly, with what we have plus how to look after it,  and secondly buy with our actual needs and personalities in mind. Although this latter does come with a heftier price tag, the author also being the founder of TheBuyMeOnce website, championing products that are more expensive because they will last forever. That is actually quite interesting reading too. She also looks at things we can do to make our lives more enriched without having to resort to shopping to get the fix - friendships, activities, hobbies and so on. Prevent the boredom...

There are a number of self-reflective tests you can do to find your shopping style, your clothing style, getting your head around brands and advertising, how to declutter your living space literally cupboard by cupboard. Like all these sorts of challenges, you never set out to to it all at once, you will end up a blubbering mess. She suggests a cupboard or drawer a day, little by little. The only drawback to this, I see, is that by the time you have done every storage space you will have to start again as the detritus of modern life begins to accumulate again!

So worth a read if you want some inspiration while looking at the overflowing kitchen drawer with four of everything in it. How many vegetable peelers do you really need? I probably do have four. 

No comments:

Post a Comment